Help toward the cost of a funeral can be provided by the government in some instances, there is certain criteria to be met for those who may be eligible, however.
The funeral expense payment from the government can assist toward the cost of:
- Burial fees for a particular plot
- Cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate
- Travel to arrange or go to the funeral
- The cost of moving the body within the UK, if it’s being moved more than 50 miles
- Death certificates or other documents
You can receive a payment toward the cost of any other funeral expenses, such as funeral director’s fees, flowers or the coffin. You can get up to £1,000 toward this cost. In most cases the payment will not usually cover all of the costs associated with the funeral. The amount you receive is dependent on your circumstances, and it will take into consideration any other money that is able to be used to cover the funeral costs such as an insurance policy.
The payment can be made one of two ways, either into your bank, building society or credit union account if you have already settled the invoice. Alternatively the payment can be made directly to us if you have not yet settled the invoice.
In order to receive assistance toward the cost of the funeral you (or your partner) must get one or more of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- the disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
If you are getting a Support for Mortgage Interest Loan you may also be eligible for the funeral payment from the government.
If you have applied for any of the above and are waiting to hear about your claim you can still make a claim for the Funeral Expenses Payment.
In addition to receiving the benefits as outlined above you must also be one of the following:
- The partner of the deceased when they died
- A close relative or close friend of the deceased
- The parent of a baby stillborn after 24 weeks of pregnancy
- The parent or person responsible for a deceased child who was under 16
If there is a close relative of the deceased who is not getting one of these benefits, you might not be able to claim Funeral Expenses Payment.
You might not get a Funeral Expenses Payment if another close relative of the deceased (such as a sibling or parent) is in work.
In order to make a claim for the Funeral Expenses Payment you must apply within 6 months of the funeral having taken place. Even if you are still waiting on a decision for a qualifying benefit.
You can start the claim process before the date of the funeral if you have an invoice or a signed contract from the funeral director. This must not be an estimate. We are happy to provide this documentation for you, to help make the process easier for you.
If you are in receipt of Universal Credit then please note that you will not get a decision on your claim until after your next payment from date of submitting the claim.
To make a claim for the Funeral Expenses Payment please call the Bereavement Service helpline using the details below:
Bereavement Service helpline
Telephone: 0800 731 0469
Welsh language: 0800 731 0453
Textphone: 0800 731 0464
Welsh language textphone: 0800 731 0456
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0469
Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users – check you can use the service
Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3.30pm
Find out about call charges
An adviser will also help you claim any other bereavement benefits you might be entitled to.
You can also claim by post. Download and fill in the claim form (SF200), then send it to the address on the form.
At Memories Funeral Service we are a trusted partner of Funeral Safe Finance.
Launched in 2016 by both funeral and financial industry experts, Funeral Safe provides simple, accessible and affordable finance for covering funeral costs.
Funeral Safe are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and governed by an independent supervisory board.
How to apply
- You can apply when arranging a funeral with your funeral director. Just ask your arranger for Funeral Safe finance options and they can arrange for you to apply online or by phone.
- You can use the calculator opposite and simply click the Apply button and this will take you through the application.
- You can also Apply over the phone by calling us on 0330 002 0872
What happens next.
- Following a successful application, you will receive a text message and email – this contains your loan agreement. If you are happy with everything in the loan agreement, you can accept it via the email using our electronic signature.
- Once you have accepted the agreement, your funeral director is notified and the funeral balance is paid directly to your funeral director. You will receive your personal login account details to manage your loan. We are available to offer any support you may need, leaving you to concentrate on the important things.